- From the Top of the Rock Pile . . . .
- Let’s all hope 2021 is a better year.
- The Board has agreed to try and have an online general meeting. I don’t know the topic or speaker we may have as the meeting is presently in the planning stage. I am working on putting together a meeting for February 11, Thursday at 7 pm. Check the website for more information and your emails for the link to join us. Make sure emails from the club are not going to your junk email.
- If all goes well, we will have monthly online meetings until we are able to return in person meetings.
- Last year we welcomed 15 new members and their families. I am looking forward to meeting each of you either online or in person. I also want to thank our Field Trip Guide Roger Danneman for all his hard work in planning these monthly field trips. It takes a lot of planning on his part, as he always goes out before hand and checks the location before we go. He makes sure the roads and hiking paths are accessible and everything is clear and okay for our rockhounding trips. Thank you Roger you are doing an amazing job!
- Dues for 2021 is only $15 per family or individual. The Board approved this reduction in dues for 2021 only. Even though we are not presently holding meetings, our club still has to cover our annual dues to NFMS, AFMS, ALAA, WA State Mineral Council, website hosting and the cost of liability insurance for 2021. I am sure by spring or summer we will be back to holding our meetings again. When this does happen we will once again have the cost of the monthly rental for the meeting room.
- So please go to our website and renew your membership now!
- New Membership
- Anyone that joined our club from September 11, 2020 thru December 31, 2020 (last year) your membership is good for all of 2021. If you are an existing member use the Manage my account/Renew link on the menu under membership. Use the email address you used when you joined CMS
- I personally thought we were going to make it through 2020 and 2021 without the virus touching our family. I am sad to say my family has not dodge the virus. On December 28th a close family member was taken to ER and on January 3rd they passed away. All my kids came in from around the US and we met in Southern California to say our goodbyes. It was sad a occasion but so nice having all the family together in one place. We made a promise with one another to get together more often and not wait for funerals.
- Now another two very close friends have caught the virus. One is going to be okay and the other is in very serious condition. This is a very mean virus.
- Stay home, always wear a mask if you have to go out, and be sure to sanitize your hands constantly. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy as we all want to see each other this year.
- Kat Koch, President
From the Top of the Rock Pile . . . . We will be resuming in-person club meetings on June 10th, Thursday at 7 pm. We will have our regular meeting at the American Legion Hall, Kent. Mike and I took a 3 week vacation/road trip via the giant redwoods on our way to Lake Arrowhead in the San Bernardino Mountains behind San Bernardino, CA. We had 2 weeks hanging around this beautiful lake. We went on a couple of leisurely drives looking for rocks but all we found were several types of granite. We then headed to Las Vegas …
Finally and at last we are resuming in-person meetings on June 10th at 7 pm at the American Legion Hall, Kent. Our topic for the evening will be a power point presentation on picture stones. Shown ‘n Tell will be something rock, mineral or fossil item you have done or acquired in the last 15 months. Google GPS lists the address as American Legion Hall, S 252nd St Kent, WA 98030 (No building address number.) Bing GPS doesn’t list it correctly no matter how you enter the address. When we resume our in-person meetings the club has obtained sanitizers to sanitize the tables, chairs and hands. Everyone will be required to wear a mask.
Time is Running Out – Lower Dues for 2021 2021 club membership dues is $15 for a family or individual! The Board has approved a temporary reduction in our dues for 2021 only to $15 per family or individual. As of October our dues will go back up to $25 per family or individual. Our club is resuming in person general meetings on June 10th. Our general meetings are held on the 2nd Thursdays of each month at 7 pm. From our website you can use a credit card to renew your membership. You can also mail a check to CMS, c/o Charles Benedict, 25838 W. Lake Wilderness Dr. SE, Maple Valley WA 98038.