- From the Top of the Rock Pile …. by Kat Koch
- Governor Inslee and the CDC have asked all of us to not gather for the holidays. I know it’s very hard for some of us not see our friends and family at this time of the year.
- The holidays gatherings, religious services, hobby or other group meetings, gyms, senior center activities have been canceled but remember we, as individuals, have not been canceled. We are still a family member, a friend and a rock club member.
- Joy, fun and happiness have not been canceled! 2020 has been a weird year and celebrating with one another looks different. Remember to reach out via phone, video chat or email to family members, friends and our rock club friends/members during the coming holiday. We are all here to support each other any way we can.
- Above all our rock club and our community of members have not been canceled! We are still here producing our monthly news bulletin, maintaining our website and leading field trips when the weather is good. If you are working on a lapidary project or tumbling and need help, have a question or need talk about rocks please reach out to one of our members. If you need a phone number or email for a member just check the contact page in our bulletin go to our website and under “Contact Us!” send a message with their name. You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org If I have their info I will send it to you.
- I am also very happy to announce that the Board has approved a temporary reduction in our dues for 2021 only to $15 per family or individual. Even though we are not presently holding meetings, our club still has to cover our annual dues to NFMS, AFMS, ALAA, WA State Mineral Council and the cost of liability insurance for 2021. I am sure by spring we will be back to holding our meetings again. When this does happen we will once again have the cost of the monthly rental for the meeting room.
- Stay safe and healthy so we can see each other next year.
- Kat Koch, President
From the Top of the Rock Pile …. by Kat Koch From the Top of the Rock Pile …. by Kat Koch Thanks to Zach Pratt’s efforts, our general meetings are on YouTube. We do have to work out the camera positioning for the entire meeting. Please give us a month or 2 to get things right. The club intends to make this YouTube Live Stream a permanent thing – so hang in there. Our show plans are well underway. Our show is sold out! We need a load of volunteers for this event. I will have at the meeting …
Please note we have changed the month and day of our annual picnic. We had to change the month because our show is in August this year. We changed the weekday in order to accommodate our members that attend religious services. Our potluck picnic and club auction are being held on Saturday, July 9th at the Lake Wildnerness Arboretum. Setup is at 11 am and lunch is at noon. We ask you to bring a main dish, side dish, rolls, drinks, or dessert for the potluck. If you are unable to bring a food item that’s ok too. We would rather have you join us than not see you at all! The Arboretum is kind enough to provide a beautiful shaded area with picnic tables. There is also plenty of free parking. This is a great opportunity to enjoy each other’s company and engage in some “rock talk.” At the auction, you can always pick up some great bargains. The Young Tumblers can spend the “Rock Bucks” that they have collected on auction items they would like. Everyone comes out a winner. These club auctions help cover the costs of running the club and to keep our dues low. If you would like to donate something to the auction we would really appreciate it. Afterward, if it’s a warm day you can go swimming at Lake Wilderness, stroll through the beautiful park or take the kids to the play area.