- From the Top of the Rock Pile . . . .
- Boy was it good to see everyone after 16 months of no in-person meetings! We had a good turnout. I estimate we had 30 people. 27 members signed in but I think there were about 3 additional people who didn’t make it to the sign-in table. I would like to remind everyone to sign in at the front door. You get a door prize ticket for the drawing later in the meeting plus for insurance purposes, we need a headcount and the names of those who attended our meeting.
- Our club hands out “Rock Bucks” to our young tumblers at every meeting. If they attend they get $2 in Rock Bucks. If you also bring something and tell us about your item during Show ‘n Tell you receive a total of $5 in Rock Bucks for being at the meeting. Our young tumblers can use these Rock Bucks at all our club auctions. They can take part in the bidding process and if they win they can purchase the item(s) using these Rock Bucks.
- We continue to have about 5 new members every month. I want to welcome each of you to our great rock club. I tried to get around and meet our new members at the last meeting. I apologize if I missed introducing myself to you. I will try to do so at our July meeting.
- Don’t forget to mark your calendar for our next meeting on Thursday, July 8th at 7 pm. We will be playing “Rock Bingo.” We always have fun playing bingo and everyone goes home a winner. Bingo details are in this Tumbler and on the website.
- I would also like to point out our annual club picnic is being held on Sunday, August 8th at the Lake Wilderness Arboretum. Setup is at 11 am and lunch is at noon. We will have an auction following lunch. Check August’s Tumbler or the website for more information on this event.
- Kat Koch, President
Sorry for the late update on the website. Due to Covid and the flu, our family has been sick. I would also like to note, that we have lost our videographer. Until we find a replacement volunteer, our meetings will not be on YouTube. From the Top of the Rock Pile Our Cascade Gem & Mineral Show is coming up. We will be about 2 weeks from show time when you read this! Our August meeting will be a recap of what’s going on at our Cascade Gem Show. It will also be our last call for volunteers. Then Jim …
Topic: This is our last meeting before our Cascade Gem and Mineral Show. There will be a rundown of our show and what you can expect to happen. It will also be our last call for volunteers. It is imperative that we get more volunteers. As Roger, our Field Trip Guides, says “Many hands make light work.” You don’t have to wait until this meeting to volunteer for the show. Just click on the website front page link to volunteer. Unforeseen change in the meeting agenda. Bring or ugliest or most unusual rock, fossil, or mineral. Be prepared to tell us what it is and where you found or got it.
Topic: A recap on how our Cascade Gem and Mineral Show went. Financial analysis and a critique of the show. What went great, and where do we need to improve next year. Then we are going to try something new. A sticky note timeline chart. We are going to have a yearly timeline chart from 1935 to 2022. We are going to ask you to put 3 sticky notes on the timeline with your name on each and then 1st Note first time you went rockhounding and your age 2nd Note the most memorable rock hobby event in your life and your age 3rd Note another memorable rock hobby event in your life and your age Then place each of your sticky notes on the timeline. Just before Show ‘N Tell, we will take a look at the chart. Then during Show ‘N Tell you can come up and look at the chart and discuss it with each other. Show’N Tell: A rock, mineral, or fossil that means a lot to you.